1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, removd from casing & crumbled
1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, removd from casing & crumbled
1 1/2 c. thickly sliced red onion
1 1/2 T chopped garlic
3/4 t fennel seeds
1/2 t salt
1/2 t crushed red pepper
1 28 oz can diced & peeled tomatoes w/ juice, slightly crushed for additional texture
2 T tomato paste
1 T chopped fresh oregano>
1 lb. dry penne, ziti, mostaccioli
1 1/2 c. fresh ricotta
6 T chopped fresh basil leaves
grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- In large saute pan, cook sausage over medium-high heat until fat is rendered & sausage starts to brown - about 5 minutes
- remove sausage w/ slotted spoon & drain on paper towels
- remove all but 2 T fat from the pan
- Add onions & garlic to pan & cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until soft - about 3 minutes
- Add fennel seeds, salt & red pepper & cook, stirring, until fragrant - 20 - 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes & juice, tomato paste, oregano & cooked sausage. Cook, stirring, until thick & fragrant - 20 - 25 minutes.
- Start water heating for pasta & cook pasta, timing pasta completion w/ sauce completion.
- Mix basil w/ ricotta in large serving bowl.
- Add drained pasta over ricotta in serving bowl.
- Remove from heat & adjust seasoning to taste
- Add sauce to pasta & ricotta in serving bowl & gently fold everything together. Garnish w/ grated parmesan.