Ingredients for 6-8 people
2 lb. ground beef (93% lean, if you can get it)
2 T butter
2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped small
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pepper (red, green, whatever)
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. fresh breadcrumbs (about 2 slices of fresh bread, picked apart)
1/4 c. milk
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 t salt
1 T cumin
1/2 t black pepper (fresh if you've got it)
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 c. + 2 T ketchup
- Melt butter in pan, add veggies, season w/ salt & pepper, cook till carrots begin to get tender (about 10 min. on medium heat)
- Add garlic to veggies & cook 1 minute more. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat 2 eggs & add spices, Worcestershire sauce, beat eggs more. Finally add milk & beat one final time.
- Add veggies, egg mixture, bread crumbs & 1/2 c. ketchup to ground beef in large bowl. Mix well.
- Shape into loaf in metal pan. (I cover my pans w/ foil to make the clean-up easier. Remember, shiny side down, when putting foil in a pan.)
- Brush remaining 2T (or more if you like) ketchup over top of the meatloaf.
- Bake 1 hour, 15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.