Ingredients for 8-10 people
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced thinly
1 lb. cooked shrimp, shells removed (I use 71-90s)
1 large bell pepper, chopped (green or red)
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (add more if you love garlic)
3 large vine ripened tomatoes (or 5 medium, these are important b/c the sweetness you get from vine ripened makes a difference in how the dish comes out)
2 c. uncooked white rice
2 cans no-fat chicken broth
1/4 c. fresh parsley chopped
1 c. scallions, chopped
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t thyme
1 t cumin
hot sauce to taste
salt & pepper
Serve & enjoy!!
- Season sausage w/ salt & pepper & brown on hi heat in 1 T oil in Dutch oven. Set aside.
- Drain pot, if necessary, to leave 1 T of liquid from sausage.
- Season celery, onion, pepper, & garlic w/ salt & pepper & cook in Dutch oven till crisp tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add sausage, rice, seasonings, hot sauce, & chicken broth to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil & turn down to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley, cook 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes & scallions & mix gently. Cook 5 - 10 minutes.